Friday, March 13, 2015

I might be a hypocrite

One of the biggest challenges you face when you have a kid is having to name them.  I saw an internet meme that said "You never realize how many people you hate until you have to name a kid" and that is one of the truest statements I've ever heard.  There were tons of names that were off of our list simply because one of us at some point in time knew someone with that name that we simply couldn't stand.  Then we had a challenge with our last name being something that easily rhymes with a lot of names, so we couldn't use any of those.  We had a huge list of 30 or more names that we had to whittle down to a list of final contenders.  We kept looking for something that wouldn't mean there would be 30 other kids in her kindergarten class with the same name, and something that was unique enough, but not outright stupid.  So, long story short, I gave my kid a weird name.  Not terribly weird, but weird enough.  Her name is literary in two ways.  First because it's literally the last name of a well known author, and second because I read a memoir by a blogger I follow who named her daughter the same thing and I've liked it ever since.  Being a book nerd and a literature major, it seemed fitting enough.

We didn't name her right away.  We didn't have a name picked before she was born.  We didn't name her until we were in the recovery room an hour and a half later.  After going through the 30 hour ordeal that was her birth, I think my husband caved a bit on the name.  We had a few options on our short list, but I had my #1 and he let me have it since I was the one who got sliced open.  That was after typing it out on his phone in different fonts so he could see what each name would look like on a wedding invitation or a business card, and then it officially became who she was.

So, I admit that my kid has a weird name.  That doesn't stop me from being a totally judgmental bitch about other kid's names.  I get it.  It's hard to name a kid, but some names just make me cringe.  Names that are spelled stupidly, like Jaxon instead of Jackson drive me nuts.  Names with an unnecessary y in them like Hayley instead of Haley make me crazy.  Names where parents combine multiple names together (Elliott + Leeanna = Ellee) or names that simply don't flow with the last name for the family.  These things are all annoying.    I know I shouldn't judge people for what they name their kids.  I gave my kid a weird ass name.  I am no better than anyone else.  But, at the same time, some people just name their kids stupid shit, and when I think they've named their kid something stupid, I sit there judging them like crazy.

I am such a hypocrite.

0 comments:

Post a Comment